Thursday, December 18, 2008

Nerdy Chic - How To Choose The Right Glasses For Your Face

As a young child no one wants glasses. Showing up at school with a pair of glasses can be a death sentence. I have seen children left in tears because of the incessant taunts of bullies pushing them around and calling them four-eyes. Luckily I wasn't one of those children. I have always been proud of my perfect 20/20 vision, until one day I was kicked off my high horse when I realized I couldn't read a sign across the street from me. All those years of boasting, and sitting in front of a computer, have finally caught up with me. Turns out I developed myopia and astigmatism in my left eye. Now the search began for the perfect frames.

The possibility of a new look is exciting, however there is pressure to find the right pair. After all most people have one pair of glasses, for the most part, and they need to fit your face correctly, as well as fit with most of your wardrobe. As you get older, you get over the angst of your youth and the fear of looking 'nerdy.' You begin to fall for the appeal of the glass and metal object that sits on the bridge of the nose. The right pair of shades can change your look, even enhance it. Whether they make you look more intelligent, as the popular stereotype suggests, or they make you look more sophisticated. Nerdy chic is my preference as of late, as the square plastic rims I purchased suggest. When I put them on I look like a different person, and frankly I love a new look every once in awhile.

The LensCrafters website has a wonderful tool in order to figure out what glasses flatter someone's face shape. There is also the option to upload a picture of yourself and virtually try on a pairs of lens.

OVAL This face shape always seems to be the easiest to fit because of the even proportion. You can experiment with many frames but make sure the glasses do not overpower you. Try rectangular or butterfly frames.

SQUARE This face shape has a strong prominent jawline therefore you might want to try frames that will soften your strong features. Try oval frames or even rimless frames to create a softer look around your face.

ROUND This face shape is fuller without the angular features of the square. You do not want to emphasize the fullness so try a rectangular shape that will create angles on your face. Glasses that rest higher on your face will lengthen the roundness.

HEART This face shape is almost looks like the shape of a heart. You have a wider forehead and a narrower jaw. Also high cheekbones. Frames that have a wider bottom help to balance out your wider forehead. Avoid frames that call attention to the top of your head. Cat eye, butterfly, or round lenses are a good choice for you.



Check out some pictures of the celebrities who make frames look good.





No comments: