Thursday, March 6, 2008

Project Runway Finale - Christian Siriano

The winner of Project Runway Season 4 is Christian Siriano! As I watched him start to cry even before Heidi Klum could announce the winner, I couldn't help but hope she would call his name. What can I say, I love a man that is sensitive and fierce all at the same time. It was heartwarming to see how important the competition was to him or maybe he was too overcome with excitement from being so close to Posh Spice.

For the past couple of weeks I was hoping that Christian would be the winner. Yes I couldn't help myself and I checked out the finalists' collections online before the show aired. Everyone must like Christian Siriano as much as I do because not only was he the judges favorite, but he was also the fan favorite. I agree with many people that the color scheme was a little monochromatic. Initially the constant influx of black was redundant, although his use of shape and texture made each piece interesting. Two of his jackets I would wear right off the runway (his 4th fitted look and his 6th over the top frill jacket). The frill jacket was fabulous. Anyone who dares to wear that piece down the street will definitely turn heads but still manage to look chic. Out of all three designers Christian had the most cohesive collection. Nina Garcia was on the money when she called Christian's style pure drama. I mean look at his use of feathers, ruffles, and volume. His final dress was spectacular. It clearly showed his point of view and despite being to over the top to wear even on the red carpet, it is beautifully dramatic, pure artwork.

Christian may be focused on designing clothes for women who look more like models, as Rami pointed out, however he has vision and talent that far surpasses his age and experience. Christian makes me want to run out and buy a ruffled coat and large brim hat. Trust me there aren't many designers who could make me feel the same way.


No comments: